Building a Cyber ​​Security Game with Three.JS – Inspired by Google’s Interland

project hunting

Over the summer for our Project Management and Implementation courses (PRJ 566 and PRJ 666), we were tasked with creating an entirely different project of our choice. We had the freedom to choose, plan and manage a project with weekly consultation and guidance from our professor. The only requirement was – we had to do something creative and complex. But the complex looks very different from person to person. We had to justify why what we chose to do was complicated enough to pass the course. It was not clear to us what we were going to do. We brainstormed and brainstormed as a team. The areas of AI seemed very attractive, and we were thinking of doing something with optical character recognition (OCR) as I was tackling an OCR-related project at the time as a research assistant at Seneca Innovations.

It just so happened that the day I was listing all the cool ideas that could potentially be our project for the PRJ566 and PRJ666 – Batuhan (our team leader) and I covered the skills in the cyber security industry in this podcast. Was talking about scarcity.

This got us thinking. Hmm… what if we did something related to cyber security? Why not make a game? We started searching cyber security games for inspiration and came upon IBM Terminal – an awesome browser-based cyber security game. Then we got Google Interland – another amazing quiz-based cyber security game made with three.js.

We were thrilled as a team. It finally clicked. We were going to make something like Google Interland’s Reality River. We named our project – Exploit.

river of trouble

Well, the only problem was this time – none of the four team members had ever coded a game before. Never wrote the most basic line of three.js before. There was a more challenging and complicated learning curve than the game itself. With a time constraint of 16 weeks, four team members (Samina, Batuhan, Lihan, Vansh) a steep learning curve, zero game development experience and four other challenging courses in the semester – we decided to take the time to choose from to work on this project. To question our conscience. However, our professor showed so much confidence in us that it boosted our confidence and we were determined not to let him down. We started on our Software Requirements Specification and passed the class with a shining A+.

Note: This is a work in progress, and we expect the most basic game to be ready by mid-December. We spent the entire summer planning the project and would spend the entire fall coding. The demo site currently contains dummy questions and not real questions. Then tag along with us!

module

Going forward

We are currently building the game environment. We already have a fully functional little game character that we call a “danger hunter”. Maybe we will come up with the name of the cooler later. This little man – similar in character to Interland – moves through his environment, answering questions, and collecting points. We are constantly reporting issues to our GitHub repository and documenting our progress. This is going to be a series of several parts. So stay tuned for the next blog!

picture description

Leave a Comment